The essay contest is now open to high school and homeschool juniors in Dickson, Hickman, and Humphreys counties. First prize is a $2,000 scholarship to the school the winner attends after high school. Second and third prizes will be similar scholarships for $1,000 and $500.
This year’s topic is “Describe a personal failure or mistake, and how you responded to it.”
- Entrants must be in the eleventh grade during the 2017-2018 school year, and must reside in Dickson, Hickman or Humphreys Counties.
- Essays must be no less than 800 and no more than 1,600 words.
- Essays must be typed and double-spaced, and must be stapled together with a cover sheet.
- The cover sheet must include the essay topic, the student’s name, address and phone number, and the name of the high school the student is attending. Homeschooled students should list “Homeschool” as their high school.
- Essay pages should not have the student’s name or any other identifying characteristics on them so that judging can be totally anonymous. Essay pages should be numbered “Page 1 of 3”, etc. Do not number the cover sheet.
- The essay must be entirely the work of the entrant.
- One entry per student, please.
Typed essays should be mailed to:
The Goodlark Educational Foundation
445 Hwy 46 South, Suite 29 #213
Dickson, TN 37055
Essays must be postmarked by November 17, 2016 and received by November 24, 2017 to be eligible. The winner will be announced in January 2018.
Essays will be judged on content, creativity and style. The decision of the judges is final.